Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Two Steps Forward, One and Half Back

I've always imagined life as being a series of forward steps.  Sometimes very slow steps, punctuated by long rest stops, but general forward motion.


Grief has made re-examine that notion.

Now life is more like two steps forward, one a half back. I make what feels like progress for a few days and then I fall back again.  Not quite all the way back to the beginning, but back more than I like, more than I think I should.

And that's where I'm finding the greatest lesson.  What I think should be happening and the progress I think I should be making in the time frame that I think I should be making it in don't jive with lived reality. I can think that I should be at Step R (for all Right again) by now, but while I might visit that point, I find myself back at Step D (for Depression and sadness) more often than naught.

I believe that eventually I will be able to look objectively at the process and perhaps even offer some sage wisdom, but right now the best I can do is observe and share the journey.


One day at a time.

P.S. A friend sent me this and it seems very apropos.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your comments. Let's talk!